If you asked me about Serbia a month ago, I'd be rolling my eyes. Then I found out about Serbia as a new born country. That interested me… Then I found out one of my friends is from Kosovo. What she talked about the Serbs got me really curious about their history. So, I investigated what caused the tension between the 2 ethnic groups. Then I got myself in trouble with a Serb for being silly (later on reconciled). The whole Serbian / Albania relationship becomes really intriguing to me.
It's hard to say who's at fault since the two groups were both oppressed at one time or another. Hence the intense hatreds among them. While I was shocked by their responses to each other, I was also reminded that the same hatred was shared among the Chinese against Japanese, or Chinese & Taiwanese back at my grandparent's generation then passed down to my parents generation. Right now, it's hard for the Serbia & Albanian to be friends with each other. How many generations is it going to take for that kind of sentiment to go away, I wonder?
BD recommended this book, Exclusion & Embrace by Volf. Seems to be a very interesting read.
No comments:
Post a Comment