The two teams that are only here for about 10 days decided to just show up at this plaza to attract people who want to practice their English or, to just see the "white" people. Indeed, a lot of people were surrounding us Sat night. Very soon, we got to know more people and make friends with some.
Since the other two teams only here for a little bit, they're very bold in whatever they do and the result's really good according to what I heard. It is exciting to see the harvest.
However, the challenge for us who stay a bit longer is once we build the relationship, the locals can come across as nosy. Although we understand it's just cultural difference, it still can bug us especially when we cannot lie and we don't want to share a whole lot of info. either.
For ex, we took a 3 wheeler to a friend's this morning for the regular Sun morning stuff. Then, I stopped by a restaurant for lunch on my way back. They asked me, what did you do today. I said, not much, just chill. They said they saw us on a 3 wheeler and wanted to know where we were going. In my mind, I was thinking 'not of your business.' but, what I said was 'oh, just visiting a friend'. See what I'm talking about.
They can ask all sorts of questions that we consider inappropriate or personal in the US. But, we still have to be friendly while being seriously annoyed and etc - such is the kgd work. ;-p
I learned to give a general answer that's true so, I don't offend people and at the same time not to blow the cover. (Seriously, I think CIA should hire me. HA)
The rest of the weekend's "Force-ful" as oppose to "restful" Sabbath. I watched the Star War trilogy. Awesome, it is. Raining, it has been, the lord's day.
1 comment:
janice i need to talk to u when u come back :D remember!!! i need to talk to you!! :D
Post a Comment